Technically we have a winner.
My aim was to finish the novel I started in NaNoWriMo November 2014.
I didn’t know how many words I would need to finish it and I wasn’t 100% sure of where it would actually end, but I estimated I might have needed around 20,000 words.
I couldn’t change that goal once people started verifying, so I had to grab a chunk I’d written previously to help me verify.
I ended up needing only 13,595 to finish this first draft. It should go without saying that more words will be added, changed, and culled in the editing process.
It wasn’t easy for me to slip back into writing every day and there was about a week and a half I simply didn’t feel like writing and wanted to just veg out after work and hang out with my husband. I suspect this is because the closer I got to the end of the book, the more I rebelled against finishing it. Once I recognised this, I put my butt in my chair and tried to think up some more exciting scenes to get me to the ending.
The ending actually came at a bit of a surprise. I thought I would write one more scene, but the one I was writing at the time felt like the right place to end – and also, the scene I wanted to write next would make a better opening for Book #2.
It also changes how I was going to approach Book #2, because something pretty major happened that I wasn’t planning on happening this early. It’s changed a large amount of what I had planned for Book #2, so I’m actually kind of excited (and dreading) writing the next one!
I feel good about this book. There’s a lot of work to be done and one major plot hole I need to fix, but I feel good where it’s ended, and I know I have issues with endings.
I may not have achieved my goal of 20K words, but that was only an estimate. The goal was to get writing again and finish the book I’d started and wanted to finish.